Re-Catechism Thursday May 14th!
Have you ever wondered why we have certain traditions in our Faith? Do you have questions about what it means to be a Greek Orthodox Christian? Do you ever ponder things like the Bible, Saints, Angels, Heaven, Hell and who Jesus really is?
If you said YES to any of the above, then GREAT!!!
You are not alone.
Whether you were baptized as a baby, or are thinking of being baptized now as an adult (or are just plain curious), our upcoming Re-Catechism class is for you!
It is the perfect way to learn, experience and explore the Orthodox Faith; in a group setting, with coffee and a relaxed atmosphere.
The plan is to have this Re-Catechism twice a month, every month!
And better yet! Re-Catechism (or Re-Cat for short) is starting soon ☺
Soooooooo… Re-Catechism, what does that word even mean?!
noun: catechism; plural noun: catechisms
- a summary of the principles of Christian religion in the form of questions and answers, used for the instruction of Christians.
- Derives from Kato (κατω) and echo/sound (ήχος); to pass down what was heard from previous Teachers.
See! We explored something together already!!! ☺
That’s the point of this group. To listen to the authentic teaching of the Apostles as it has been kept in the Teachings of the Orthodox faith for 2000 years. To explore it, chew on it and with God’s help, learn to live it. But without further ado…
Here is the information, I am really excited to see you there!!!
Who: Fr. Kosta will be leading the group (yay! That’s me!)
When: Thursday May 14th.
Time: 7:30 pm – 9:30 pm. (It’s ok to come late. It’s ok to bring a friend).
Where: Sts. Constantine & Helen Greek Orthodox Church!
Address: 13181 96Avenue, Surrey BC
First Night’s Subject(s):
Genesis: this is the first book of the Old Testament. We are going to look at some of the following things:
What is the Old Testament. Is there a New Testament, since there is an Old? Why?!
- Genesis is the first book?! I thought the Old Testament WAS a book! How can Genesis be a book in a book? (Hint: the Old Testament looks like a big think book, or Bible, but that book is actually 49 books all bound together!)
- Ok. Why are we starting here, with Old Testament Genesis? (Hint: cause it’s the beginning of the whole Bible. Good place to start huh? At the beginning?)
- We will be looking at ONE event in the beginning of Genesis very closely. The creation of ALL things; time, distance, energy, stuff, the universe, EVERYTHING. And the Creation of Human Beings.
- Here we will see how the Orthodox Church views the Creation of the Universe by God the Creator. We will see how this may be quite different than how most Christian faiths see it. And lastly we will see the deep impact this Chapter of the Old Testament had/has on the Disciples at Jesus’ time and on us today!
Sounds fun? Hope to see you there ☺